Thursday, October 1, 2009

Life is beta



I love this title. Having this idea in mind, I feel relaxed. It is from What Would Google Do?by Jeff Jarvis, which I read recently. Isn't it so true? Life is a series of experiments, and same as the process of making my sculpture works. For more than a decade, this has been the way I make clay sculptures. I usually form the work, and try to make it perfect to reflect my idea at the state of raw clay. Then, I wait until the right time, and I break it with a rubber hammer.


Before the hammering, the work is so lovely, elegant, breath-taking. At the same time, I feel it suffocates me with no further possibilities.
How do I feel during the hammering process? I feel absolutely challenged, excited, and occasionally despairing.
I enjoy how physics takes control of my work, although I am the one holding the hammer.
All these unpredictable breakages lead my work and life to unknown directions.
This is a way for me to experience and appreciate serendipity.And yes, my art work is beta, and so is my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment